Friday, July 9, 2010

An Evening in Shanghai

Was in China recently on a business visit and spent a few days in Shanghai. Took the daytime Air India flight to Shanghai - a very comfortable 6 hours - arriving at 8 PM. If you are in Shanghai, the place to stay in is around Nanjing Street - the all pedestrian street with great shopping  dining and night life. 
A rain soaked morning at Nanjing Street 
The street is a beehive of activity at all times and even rain is not a deterrent. The action starts early morning when the central square on the street comes to life with live perfomances of aerobics, musical concerts and much more.
 Tourists enjoying a toy train ride
Nanjing Street is probably the most action packed street in Shanghai and comes truly to life in the evenings when hordes descend for a few hours of shopping and entertainment. Being an all pedestrian street, it is a pleasure to move around in this area and if you are shopaholic, this is the place to be in.

.
 Nanjing Street is a riot of lights as night sets in. Whereas the place is bustling with activity and people, it can get a bit tiresome with the crowds all around . Shopping , though can be great and you could land up with some fantastic bargains.

If you are visiting Shanghai, I strongly recommend you stay in this area. Amongst hotels, my recommendation - Central Hotel at Jiujiang Road. Fantastic location, great large sized rooms with a seperate living room, well priced - rates from $180 upwards and if you are lucky you could get a room with a view of the central square where action starts early morning.

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog especially all the nice pictures...I am inviting you to check out my blog and follow my thoughts and health tips as well as my beautiful pictures to view. I did not paint them but they are pretty none the less. check it out at http://amcneese.blogspot.com I think you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amcneese for visiting my blog. Glad that you like it. I did find your blog very interesting too.

    ReplyDelete